Re: A little Elmal question

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 13:15:53 -0000

Yes, I think storm Tribe implies that all deities who we know from after the dawn had to have been killed, so that they could take part in the compromise.

> Alternatively, in KoDP Elmal is swallowed by a chaos demon, so is
> temporarily obscured, but then (if the heroquester is lucky...)
> emerges again.

Also, in that myth he is broken apart by chaos foes many times, but always comes back together and to life at dawn. So I think this may be the source of day and night--each day he fought chaos, and killed it but was "killed" himself, but each dawn, with the support of the Storm Folk, he restores himself to life to protect them anew.

Sure, Storm Tribe says that Orlanth threw him the torch at the dawning, but I suspect that the Elmali know that was purely symbolic, Elmal would have been back at dawn again anyway, as he had each time before. The torch strengthened him, of course. (Further I suspect that some Elmali know that Elmal created the path up out of the underworld that Orlanth and the other gods later tread....I suspect there are some little known/lost Elmal sub-cults, one of which deals with the underworld travel in a limited way. Being of little use to most people, and given the limited number of Elmal worshippers, it is no wonder that it has been lost....but what is lost can always be found again by intrepid heroes!)

--Bryan (a blantant Elmal apologist)