Re: Humakti are sociopaths

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:34:33 +0800

>I thought psychopath and sociopath were the same, both people with
>antisocial personality disorder.

        I don't really think that the term psychopath is much used in psychiatry any more - it does have a legal definition is some areas, though, which is not much linked to the medical one.

        For example, here is the definition from the state of Washington "Psychopathic personality" in this law means the existence in any person of such hereditary, congenital or acquired condition affecting the emotional or volitional rather than the intellectual field and manifested by anomalies of such character as to render satisfactory social adjustment of such person difficult or impossible".

>Not sure either term is useful as they are normally hidden traits. No
>psychopath can survive once he is found out unless he is head of a
>dictatorship.

        Not at all, at least if you are talking about sociopaths. Sociopaths are
a) by some estimates as high as 3% of the male population. b) generally charming and socially adept. Self-centered, sure.

        Many do very well for themselves. Sure, many end up incarcerated, but lots don't.

        I don't think that many Humakti are necessarily sociopaths, but for different reasons. For a start, I don't think that the charming socially adept and socially manipulative profile fits that many of them.

        Humakti do share the characteristics. Not terribly empathic as a group, I suspect.

        I can see some of them being sociopaths. But I think most people over-stereotype sociopaths. Sure, that minor criminal who knocked over the liquor store might be a sociopath. But that rich successful expert surgeon might be one as well.

	Cheers
		David