Humakt's Gifts

From: andyhoward39 <ahoward39_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 19:43:28 -0000

Sorry to add to the Humakti chorus, but I've a question:

How do people ref/gm/narrate the granting of Humakti gifts? My players' hero band is off to the Upland Marsh to retreive "a useless magic item" and the Humakti took the opportunity to petition his temple for a suitable gift (it was a holy day).

I decided (in an uncharacteristic fit of creativity) he'd have to complete a heroquest whilst in the Marsh to get Li Phanquan's Sense Undead ability. I've just written it up, and whilst it looks OK (maybe a bit iffy as regards mythological continuity), it seems a bit much just to acquire an ability at 12 (with a geas attached).

I've tailored it so the final skill depends upon the level of victory/failure achieved, plus there's a chance of gaining a few extra abilities/flaws along the way.

What do other narrators (or sociopathic death cultists even) think. Too much hassle? Or is this how people think it should be run if we all had enough time to spare?

Andy