Re: A little Elmal question

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 15:45:02 -0000

> I haven't been following this thread too closely, but, if
> memory serves me right, in the KoDP Elmal myth, Elmal and Orlanth
> trade shields before Orlanth begins the Lightbringers' Quest. Maybe
> this is how Elmal got to hell -- Orlanth carried a key part of the
> Sun with him to the Land of the Dead. The shields no doubt
represent
> something -- ....

When the sun is in the sky lightfore is in the underworld, and vice versa. Hence lightfore is Elmal's shield, perhaps carried by his shield bearer... perhaps. I'm not sure about this bit because it leaves Elmal shieldless, except for Orlanth's loaned shield.

> ...Anyway, part of Elmal does go to hell, but Elmal remains
> alive until the Dawn.

And dies so that others might live, or something like that. I'm sure this is all linked into the Hill of Gold, etc but I'm reaching the limits of my knowledge of Elmali mythology. All pure speculation, IMHO, etc.

Simon Hibbs