Conflation of the Worlds

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:47:19 -0700

At 11:58 AM 7/11/2002 +1000, John Hughes wrote:
>Greg casually drops a bombshell:

I had thought that I've written about this before, or at least hinted strongly about it.

>> One of the factors that everyone has ignored thus far in this discussion is
>> that the World of People BECAME the Underworld during the Darkness. The
>> world collapsed upon each other under the forces of primal chaos so that
>> people were unable to distinguish between the living and the dead, between
>> spirits of gods, etc. Elmal defended his people throughout the ordeal and
>> was present at the Compromise.
>
>I like this a lot. As usual with mythologic, to the outsider it presents as
>many problems as it solves - instead of LBQing, Orlanth and company could
>have stayed in Stormstead and waited for the Underworld to come to them.

I know that even Orlanthi have discussed this among themselves for centuries. The generally dominant conclusion is that the underworld would have come to Orlanth but he would have been helpless, instead of going to it (and some say CAUSING the final collapse!) and keeping the active hand to atone for his errors.

>This *isn't* a problem for a Heortling, and I don't want to present it as
>such. Orlanth set off 'before' the conflation of the worlds,

This too has been debated. Most agree that the conflation had begun to some extent. The sky had fallen and Orlanth ruled everything Above. In the center nearly everyone was dead, after all; fimbulvinter had begun; ghosts and demons walked the lands.

When Orlanth went into the underworld it was another major part of the conflation: Above went Below.

>and besides, it
>was what was *accomplished* during the journey that counts, not the piddling
>subway ride down to once-brother Humakt's little closet.

Yes, of course. And also what failed to be accomplished, of course.

>Yelm is the Evil Emperor, king of the Fire Tribe. Elmal is, and always has
>been, the sun. As to how he lost his fire powers...
The Orlanthi cultists know of a couple of ways this happened, and the Elmali know several dozen. More important than the different stories of how he lost his fire, though, is that all of them agree that Elmal never lost all his powers.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>