Re: Bagog replies

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:30:41 -0000

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> >Why do you think that shamans should not be able to shapechange?
>
> Cults of Terror and Lords of Terror. They cannot learn the
> Carapace, Jabber and Claws reusably and so it should be
> something they cannot do in HW.

This is also why I would rstrict the ritual of devouring and ritual of rebirth to queens - because they were the only ones sho had access to the divine magic spells. Making it a secret and making the secret available only to queens seemed on way of doing this. IMHO it is devouring and not shapechanging that is at the heart of what Bagog does and this should be reflected in the secret.

Peter suggested that getting only one ability would be an impetus to use rebirth on heroes. IMHO the impetus for rebirth is to get reasonably intelligent followers (though you don't want to many, because they may challenge for your role). References in LoT do refer to memories (even the example character), I don't know that everything has to be explained as integrating the spirit of the victim (though agreed it is one way to go).

As for being magic poor. There were two main reasons. 1:) Lack of intelligence 2:) Thed, Bagog (off the top of my head) have a survival of the strongest cult set up. Teaching others magic increases the power of future competitors. Give them enough to be useful slaves, not challengers.

Ian