RE: Re: Canal in Prax

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:20:29 -0400

Nick said :

>We're not saying that pre-canal there was just a bigger swamp; more that
>there was a great undiluted lump of pure malevolent EVIL festering on
>the Plaines.

Sorry to sound petulant but I've never had any doubts about that. The present debate arose because I felt that Waha did a lousy job of cleansing his Mother in diverting the river to clean the Devil away. I was arguing that that he botched the job in not diverting the canal to the Ocean afterwards. However I can accept Peter's view that the Canal exits to the Underworld (though I still find it odd that the myth doesn't mention that bit, perhaps a rewrite's in order). That does make sense (though using a myth that ends up diverting the water into an underground cavern wouldn't have suited Gian's group much would it?:-) I can accept that the sheer immensity of the EVIL is why the swamp's still there.

>Believe you me, the Devil's Swamp is an improvement on the Devil's Rotting
Corpse. (Which would, incidentally, >have looked great on a map!).

This I have never doubted. I suspect (now) that the outline of the swamp just might roughly configure to his body since he must have made quite a dent when Storm Bull smashed him into the ground. That would help explain why the swamp is the shape it is. The Block might just be resting on his head.

>I wonder, in passing, whether an old First Age map of Prax would show more
recognisable... Landmarks? Body >parts? I wonder what the right term would be...

I wonder how long he lay there before Waha got to work? Probably one of those periods where time was less linear than the present.

Oliver