Re: Re: Canal in Prax

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:14:18 -0700

Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:
> At 12:20 PM 7/25/02 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>> We're not saying that pre-canal there was just a bigger
>>> swamp; more that there was a great undiluted lump of pure
>>> malevolent EVIL festering on the Plaines.
>
>> Sorry to sound petulant but I've never had any doubts about that.
>> The present debate arose because I felt that Waha did a lousy job of
>> cleansing his Mother in diverting the river to clean the Devil away.
>
> And my point was that compared to what was _before_ the swamp,
> things were much much worse. Hence the swamp is not evidence
> of Waha botching the job anymore than a root canal is evidence of
> a dentist botching the job.

One other complication... We look at the physical-world, 3d-age map, see the ocean right over there, and say, "Why didn't Waha dig the canal to the ocean?"

But is that the right geography? Waha was not a physical, human, contractor digging a canal with a backhoe in physical-world Prax--he was a Great Spirit of the Chaos Age. What was the geography like for *him*? Was digging a canal to the ocean was even an option?

As a Praxian Great Spirit, he would have very little to do with the Ocean. Would he even be aware that it exists? *Would* the Ocean exist, in the Spirit World of a Praxian Great Spirit?

We may be thinking about this too linearly...

--AMS