Re: Initiation

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:05:32 -0700

>If I remember correctly, 'all' Heortling males are initiated by

First, I want to congratulate you on remembering that it is not all Orlanthi here, but all Heortlings.

>taking part in the I Fought We Won battle, 'all' females by
>witnessing the rebirth of Ernalda. Later, within two years I think,
>they are called to a specific deity. OK so far?
>
>First question - is that an Orlanthi 'all', or is it an every last
>one all?

Orlanthi "all," of course. However, the all includes people with spirits, souls or essences and this experience is one of the ways that people figure out what they have. Some people say this is the experience where they choose which kind of magic they have.

>Second question, if the first answer is everyone - what about those
>who are called to the 'unusual' deities, notably Chalana Arroy and
>Nandan (Vingans, we know, have a close association with Ernalda, but
>I can't remember a similar connection 'twixt Orlanth & Nandan)? A
>Chalana Arroy cultist must never have killed, I believe, surely
>taking part in a battle would involve a bit of killing, or do you
>just have to watch?

The experience is individualized. Future Chalana Arroy cultists, for instance, heal the foe instead of killing it. Future Vingan women go through the Ernaldan experience but often have to fight something.

>In short, is the 'initial initiation' generalised for all Heortlings,
>or does it vary according to your chosed deity?

You don't have a deity at this time. You are an unformed child, capable only of Common Magic. This initiation turns you into an adult, capable of making decisions on your own and taking full adult responsibility. The next two years are spent figuring out how to exercise that privilege.

Jeff adds:
>You spend the next year involved in learning the rituals and cult your
>elders think you are suited to. Then you spend a year learning what
>appeals to you or what you think calls to you.

It's reversed, I believe. First you get to hang out doing what you think you want to do. Then the elders have you do what they think you are best at. Then you get to choose.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>