A Good End in Badside Part IV

From: bernuetz <bernuetz.oliver_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 02:19:00 -0000

Sor-Eel smiled again, "I thought you would be reasonable. Why you start right now. Here's three days pay", Bor-Eel tossed me a leather bag, I forbear from counting it since there was nothing I could do if they wanted to cheat me anyway. "Jorjar will take you to the scene of the crime. Come back this afternoon and a clerk will have the writ for you. Good luck and have a nice day." He stood up, turned to Bor-Eel and said, "Breakfast?" Bor-Eel nodded and they left the room preceded by Radak and followed by Jotoran Longsword. I turned to Jorjar and smiled. He frowned, "Don't bother kissing up to me Treibonus. I don't like you and I don't like your being involved in this. My men and I could handle this just fine." He scowled again. "Didn't your mother ever warn you about not making faces all the time? You don't want it getting stuck like that do you. Obviously Sor-Eel feels this case needs a refined touch." Jorjar scowled even deeper than before. He turned to leave the room gesturing for me to follow him.

I followed him out of the room, down the hall and out into the street. "Where are we going?" I asked trying to make small talk. "You'll see when we get there Treibonus, just keep your mouth shut until then." Nothing like a winning personality to get a working relationship off to a good start. Jorjar seemed to be in a rush and he was hustling along Marble Street at a good clip when I yelled at him, "Man with only one real leg here. Could you slow down a bit." He looked back at me and scowled again. I returned a smile to his scowl and pointed at my fake leg. He shook his head, muttered something about pathetic cripples and turned to lead the way again. He slowed down a bit but he was still going fast enough that I started to wheeze. He grunted when he heard that and slowed down some more.

We followed Marble Street being rewarded with the sight of Yelm's rays shining off of one of his no account son's temples to the north east. We soon reached Founder's Market which was already a hive of activity. Thank goodness we were either late enough or early enough, mornings aren't my strong suit, to miss the caterwauling which the Yemalians greet Yelm with. We easily crossed the market with people scampering to get out of our way, probably due to the expression on Jorjar's face. After the market we skirted Temple Court along its south end, much quieter there, and then along Marrow Street busier again, past a group of chattering citizens collecting water from a civic well to Meat Market, very busy. There we passed through the lovely smell of freshly slaughtered meat and ducked out River Gate. Jorjar nodded at the guards who let us pass without comment, probably not a good sign and we headed along the river path heading towards the Dwarf Bridge.

"Badside, huh?" I asked feeling facetious. Jorjar smirked at me which was a nice change from the scowls and just shook his head muttering something about how now he understood why Sor-Eel wanted me investigating. Feeling stung despite myself I decided to keep my mouth shut for a while. We walked up to the enormous bridge which arched high over the river and went through the guardpost. Again no comment, definitely a bad sign. We crossed over the bridge dodging cowpies the whole way and passed through the guardpost on the other side, no comment, no challenge. We walked along the path to Badside, easily much more hazardous for the cleanliness of our footwear than the bridge and finally reached the outskirts of Badside. Ah Badside, what a masterful job of naming that was. What a stretch of the poetic namer's art. A miserable collection of semi-permanent hovels, seemingly glued together with cowshit and horrible nomad tents which stank of urine. And the inhabitants! Nomad scum, butchers, Storm Bulls, drunken, washed up tribesmen, thieves, the worst gang in Pavis, the Blood Knives and other assorted vermin. They're mostly human which I guess is in their favour, no never mind no it isn't. We walked along narrow, malodorous, pestiferous alleys ignoring the various scum intent on rising early enough to rob or kill their neighbours before they did the same to them until we reached one of the buildings used by the butchers. This must be the place I thought for a squad of uncomfortable, uneasy looking constables guarded the door. Some of them were rather pale looking. They snapped to something approximating attention and nodding to them Jorjar waved me to go inside the building before him. I shrugged and ducked under the low lintel entering the room.

After my eyes adapted to the gloom I noticed the nude corpse hanging upside down, spread eagle from a pair of meat hooks sunk into one of the rafters. Someone had obviously been having sick fun as various bits had been sliced off and stuck in unnatural places. Having given me enough time to become ill and embarrass myself Jorjar ducked inside and stood beside me. I turned to him and said pokerfaced, "Suicide?"

To be continued.

Oliver