A feasting, an altar moot, a gathering of the clans

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:37:48 +1000

Gedday folks

I arrived safely home in Canberra last weekend, happily exhausted and tremendously inspired after
the experience of Convulsions. It was an amazing con, a real meeting of the clans, and I'd like to
take a few sentences to thank the organisers, fellow guests, authors, gms and
fellow attendees who all helped to make it such a tremendous and positive experience.

First of all, my heartfelt thanks to mine hosts, Charles and Cecilia Corrigan (and Conor, and Brendan) and to Nick Brooke, who looked after me so well before and after the con and who guided me through the mysteries and delights of London. My heartfelt appreciation goes also to the C02 Committee, occifers and gentlefolk all (well, maybe not Loz when he's channelling broo... :)), who brought it all together so well, with special thanks to David Hall and Rick Meintz, who helped me negotiate a tricky last-minute travel crisis, and to Loz, who did wonders with long-distance scheduling.

I'd also like to especially acknowledge the efforts of the 'Everything Is Thunder' GMs, who took my sometimes perplexing guidelines and notes and turned them into such an enjoyable module.

My personal highlights for Convulsions were many and varied, but first and foremost was the chance to finally *meet* so many more of the clan, some of whom I've been working, arguing and chatting with for ten years or more, and some of whom I met on the day. If I didn't already believe that a Gloranthan Silver Age is upon us, the experience of meeting and sharing visions with so many writers and gms would certainly have convinced me. Glorantha is growing and expanding, and has a fine future. Convulsions is testimony to the power and imagination of the clan.

(And my world is changed forever: I opened the Digest one morning after the con, and as I read, I *heard* Alex Ferguson's dulcet tones forming round the letters on the screen. If this was CoC that undoubtedly would be a SAN roll. Other previously-unfamiliar Digesters and HW listees voices were there as I read as well. My world has become smaller, and all the more valued because of it).

Other more or less random highlights, insights and treasured moments:

As to The Auction, I can only say that you guys are spoiled. Spoiled rotten. And as for the trade stands... :)

The Lowlights

It was a great pity MOB couldn't be with us. We all missed his enthusiasm and charm, and it was a little strange being one of only two people at the con without an accent. (Hi Clare :)). And Daniel, I was warned, so I have only myself to blame. :)

Only one other lowlight really...

Here was I on early Saturday afternoon, skipping lightly over the schedule and laughing blithely about the false demons of jet lag and fatigue, ready to do my full-on fat dancing buddha routine as the Carmanian Ecclesiarch in HtWWO. And then the damn room started spinning. I went outside. The entire *universe* started spinning. I sat. I lay. I reclined. I did a Hindu recluse instead of a fat dancing buddha for a while, then retired to my room for a 30 minute nap.... Next thing I knew it was *midnight*. :( So I'm sorry I missed the freeform folks, and apols for any plots my absence punctured. >From the little I saw, West was awesome.

(And after the big catch-up snooze, I sparkled through the rest of the con. Well, by my standards anyway :)).

I sincerely hope this is *not* the last Convulsions. The Committee have set extremely high standards in organisation, professionalism and good will. They are all to be heartily congratulated. Thanks guys for a stunning weekend.

There was so much happening. I never even got a look-in on the COC, freeforms or tabletopping. Just how Machenesque was 'the Novel of the Black Seal'? Did the berserker Storm Bills take out the Lunars in the HW-miniatures, and did they get a bonus for scweaming 'Stand and delibber, did ish a hoist!"? Were their any dwead Lunar secrets casually dropped in the Red Seminars? Freeforming tips? Kevin Jacklin's secret identity?

A final note for those planning 24,000 km trips to future cons. The world is small, so small, a tiny, precious jewel. Grab a window seat. Russia, on the other hand, is BIG, really big. Ginormous! Those steppes truly roll on and on and on forever... and are a fine place to take a nap for eight hours or so.

Thanks again to you all for the opportunity to share in Convulsions. It was an honour and a privilege to be able to play my own small part.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

On the twelfth play of trollball, the giant referee Kicked twelve Sons of Karg,
'Leven Umbar mindlinks,
Ten gi-ant maggots,
Nine spi-der masters,
Eight jars of Powzie,