RE: A bit more on Elmal

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 21:46:05 +0200

--Alt-Boundary-22773.4937264
Mikko & Nick :

> > Is it canon now that Elmal is missing his fire powers too?

No : It's mainly an artefact of the way the write-up was produced, and that some confusion persists between Yelmalio and Elmal (including in Heortling culture). But, there is some *false* Lozengicentric basis in the idea that at least some Heortlings believe Elmal has no fire powers to speak of, as Nick suggests. These Heortlings are wrong, but then again they never think to call on Elmal's greater fire powers, hence perpetuating the error.

> The full cult writeup in Storm Tribe has a Light affinity but no Fire > affinity (and only minor, domestic hearthfire-related feats).

But the final cult write-up in ST is unfortunately incomplete and sometimes, IMO, rather erroneous : some important Elmali mythology isn't even alluded to ; but more importantly, some of Elmal's major subcults (Torchbearer, Hellwalker) are not described in that source : which is NOT the authors' fault, I should add, but the hot sun on the pleasant banks of the river Rhine causing certain people to forget their Gloranthan continuity for a while .... ;-)

> That said,
> I don't think the Heortlings associate the Sun with Fire, only with
> Light, so this has never been an issue for them. (They don't think
> Elmal is "missing" his Fire powers, because they don't think he ever > had any worth speaking of).

I disagree completely, except as suggested above : IMO the Heortlings core mythologies _do_ associate their main sun god with fire and heat (the opposite suggestion being quite bizarre, really), although they might be called "Sun" powers, not "Fire" ones : but, whatever else, I doubt these powers would be very much like Yelm's. No Elmali sunspears, rising on pillars of Light, all-seeing thrones on the top of bloody great big ziggurats, etc. But there's certainly an Elmal Torchbearer subcult, giving powers of lighting the darkness, starting fires, burning things, and of course having a great big Blazing Club to hit people with. He also has a fiery chariot, Heat, and Fertile Dryness powers, and many, many other attributes and powers, that a God Learner would ascribe to the Fire Rune.

Elmal's Fire powers are very inferior to Yelm's, of course, but * quite * superior to Yelamalio's.

And BTW, I think the minor fire powers given to the subcults described in ST are correct : but Elmal has 3, perhaps 4 other important subcults, not described, having much better fire magic : it's possible OTOH, depending what your Glorantha is like, that these subcults are quite small, or that Elmal's fire powers need rediscovering by PC Heroes, or that the whole Elmal/Yelmalio confusion thing has caused Elmal to lose them, or &c. YGMV.

Julian Lord

--Alt-Boundary-22773.4937264
the way the write-up was produced, and
ST is unfortunately incomplete and