RE: A bit more on Elmal

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 01:55:46 +0300 (EEST)

I wrote:
> > Is it canon now that Elmal is missing his fire powers too?
>
> The full cult writeup in Storm Tribe has a Light affinity but no Fire
> affinity (and only minor, domestic hearthfire-related feats).

But the rune is rather obviously a sun rune... and the I can't find the part in Elmali mythology where he's supposed to have lost his fire.

> That said,
> I don't think the Heortlings associate the Sun with Fire, only with
> Light, so this has never been an issue for them. (They don't think Elmal
> is "missing" his Fire powers, because they don't think he ever had any
> worth speaking of).
>
> Cheers, Nick

I suppose you could see it like that. I'm not quite happy with it though. The lack of fire seems to be a symptom of the old Elmal~Yelmalio thing.

The pantheon of Orlanth seems to have something of all the elements. A sun/fire deity Elmal fits better than a cold Yelmalio-like one, I think.

        -Adept