RE: Dragonewts

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 02:34:50 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Nick Brooke wrote:

> Mikko asks:
>
> > Would you say that the bit about elemental powers is completely wrong
>
> Nope, but saying dragonewts don't use fire in mundane ways and can't
> join certain cults that don't philosophically gel with their draconic
> outlook *doesn't* mean that dragonewts can't breathe fire. (Or, for
> example, that well-attested Gloranthan Sea Dragons have no water-related
> abilities).

Indeed. The Shen Long or something like that. A very nice picture and a nifty dragon.

> > Or is the classic firebreathing trick of dragons and dragonewts just a
> > slip-up, and has no place in Glorantha?
>
> Nope, Gloranthan dragonewts definitely breathe fire. I've seen them do
> it.

*LOL* excellent answer there.

Okay, so this ends up looking like the Dragonewts are unable to deal with elemental powers that don't rise from their own draconic "soul".

But this gets me thinking: There's no reason to limit the dragonewt trick to fire. Already in the RQ-2 book it is said that gloranthan dragons can "be of any color" and that what they breath (or don't) is very varied.

So I suppose I'll run it so that the "element" of the dragonewt (or draconic human) determines what he/she learns to breath as the draconic trick.

The breath with propably be something elemental. Windblast or lightning, Fire, parhaps steam or ice for the water element, darkness/fearshock or parhaps cold, and maybe spitting poison for the earth element.

For those that it may interest, I'm running things so that Wyverns have a connection or at least an assosiation to the earth element and wyrms to the winds.

Neither is a path into which a dragonewt strays easily (or at all) but a EWF draconic-human may start to metamorphosize into one of such. Should propably pick something for exesses of the other three elements...

        -Adept : feeling draconic