Re: RE: A bit more on Elmal

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 08:55:18 -0700

At 09:46 PM 8/4/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>> > Is it canon now that Elmal is missing his fire powers too?

Go with Nick's acute observations.
The "missing his fire powers" is YOUR interpretation, not the Gloranthan one. It is an artifact of your external thinking, not the Heortling belief.

>> The full cult writeup in Storm Tribe has a Light affinity but no Fire
>> affinity (and only minor, domestic hearthfire-related feats).
>
>But the final cult write-up in ST is unfortunately incomplete and
>sometimes, IMO, rather erroneous : some important Elmali mythology
>isn't even alluded to ; but more importantly, some of Elmal's major
>subcults (Torchbearer, Hellwalker)

These are not incomplete or erroneous. These are not major subcults. He is the sun, not a Torchbearer. The sun is his torch.

>I disagree completely, except as suggested above : IMO the Heortlings
>core mythologies _do_ associate their main sun god with fire and heat

YGMV, but I wrote what I wrote with intention and purpose.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>