Re: Re: A bit more on Elmal

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 11:24:23 -0700

Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...> wrote:
>Nick:
>>Julian:
>
>>> Elmal's Fire powers are very inferior to Yelm's, of course, but
>>> *quite* superior to Yelamalio's.
>>
>> If you can name one cult with Fire powers *inferior* to those of
>> Yelmalio, I will grant you that the sentence above is particularly
>> meaningful.
>
> I'm glad you answered so : it means, of course, that they _exist_.

Not sure that you can read Nick's comment that way.

It seems to me (Nick, am I mistaken?) that Nick putting cults in three ranks:

  1. Those with mythic fire-powers (e.g. Yelm, Zorak Zoran, Mahome);
  2. Those with no particular mythic connection vis-a-vis fire, whether pro or con (e.g. Orlanth, Humakt, Thed);
  3. Those with a mythic reason why they *lack* fire (e.g. Yelmalio)

...and Nick puts Elmal in category 2. At a guess, I'd put it in game terms by saying that those in category 1 have actual fire-related feats and skills, and those in category 3 are actively handicapped WRT fire (no fire feats, and probably have difficulty using any fire-related magic).

Just off the top of my head, subject to correction: I expect if a Humakti found a magic flaming sword, he could use it with no difficulty. A Yelmalian, on the other hand, might be mythically unable to use a flaming sword, and if he could use it, he'd probably have a handicap. (A Yelmist would probably get some kind of bonus, e.g. being able to augment his sword skill with his fire affinity.) And Nick would put an Elmali in the same category as a Humakti--no bonus or penalty.

Or, you might find a Humakti hero-cult with some fire powers, and (Nick would say) you might find an Elmali hero-cult with some fire-powers--just as you might find a particular hero-cult with writing powers, or swimming, or anything else. You *wouldn't* ever find a Yelmalian subcult with fire powers.

...am I on the right track here?

--AMS