How Vinga Became A Warrior

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:47:06 +0100

Hi All,

apologies for the length, but you asked for it... :)

Regards,

Bruce

HOW VINGA BECAME A WARRIOR There came a time when Orlanth had led his warriors on a mighty raid. While he was away, the Storm Tribe was beset by enemies, for their king had been so intent on winning glory that he gave little thought to the defence that he left behind. This was in the days before Elmal saw that there was little justice in the Sun Emperor's court, so Orlanth did not yet have his loyal thane to guard his stead in his absence.
It happened that some of Orlanth's carls came to his hall, seeking help against monsters which had attacked them, and eaten their cows and burned their crops. But they were disappointed, for Orlanth had taken all the brave warriors of the Storm Tribe with him, and had left behind only weaklings, women and children. Vinga saw what had happened and became angry that no one was here to defend her kin, so she stood up in the feasting hall and announced that she would take up their defence. Laughter echoed around the hall, for Vinga was still a young girl and not yet fully grown. "How can you defend us?" The carls cried. "You are so tiny that the monsters will just eat you up!"
"That's as may be," replied Vinga. "But who else here will stand forth and
defend you." As she spoke, she cast a scornful eye around the hall, but no one there could meet her gaze, such was their shame. Vinga left the hall to prepare for her journey. Just as she set out, Voria came to speak with her: "Vinga, why do you want to do such a scary and dangerous thing? Surely it would be better to stay safe here, where mummy can keep you safe and wait for daddy to come back and deal with the monsters." Vinga shook her head. "If I wait for father to return, the monsters may eat up all the herds. I must go, sister. I might be a tiny bit scared, but I'm brave and I see no one else here who will help."
Voria saw that she could not stop Vinga from going, but before she let her go she told her that she would be best to wear breeches or to tie up her skirts so that she did not trip over them. Voria knew only too well from children's games just how much of a risk this was. Vinga thanked her for her advice, and swore to follow it always, then went on her way. As Vinga crossed the Storm Village, she met her mother, Ernalda, who asked her not to go. "I would rather not see my daughter risk herself in battle as my husband does. I could not bear to lose the both of you in war. Why not stay here, where you are safe, and let your father deal with this on his return." But Vinga would not be dissuaded. "If I wait for father to return, the monsters may eat up all the herds. I must go, mother. I have sworn it before the whole tribe; would you see me shamed? Besides, father will be exhausted when he returns from battle. I might be a little scared, but I'm brave and I see no one else here who will help."
Ernalda sighed, but saw that she could not stop her daughter from going, but before she let her go she gave her a shield to protect herself in battle. Vinga thanked her mother, though secretly she thought the shield was rather heavy and would only get in the way, then went on her way. Soon, Vinga passed by the graveyard, where she heard a voice calling her. It was her aunt, Ty Kora Tek, who was patiently waiting, for she knew that sooner or later, everyone came to see her. "Well," she cackled. "This is a fine picture. And what does a young maiden like you think she's doing going off to war. Hasn't anyone taught you to be afraid of death, yet?" And Ty Kora Tek showed Vinga an open grave, and also the remains of a warrior's pyre, so that she would know what might be in store for her. But Vinga would not be dissuaded. "If I wait for father to return, the monsters may eat up all the herds. I must go, auntie. I might be quite scared now, but I'm brave and I see no one else here who will help."
Ty Kora Tek clucked her tongue, and looked hard at Vinga. "Here," she said.
"Take this, and may it serve you well." And she gave Vinga a spear that had
lain by the side of the warrior's pyre. Vinga thanked her aunt for the spear, and promised that she would always keep it, then went on her way. After she had left Orlanth's Stead, Vinga came to the carls who needed her help. They were still not sure that such a small, young girl could save them. But they were desperate, for no one else was there to help them. They fed Vinga nourishing broth to make her strong for the battle. They gave her ale to make her brave. And they gave her their wishes and prayers, to make her lucky. Vinga does not boast about the foes she faced that day. It was the first time that she had seen battle and whatever joy she took in her victory was dampened for her by the horror of the thing. No one else was there with her to carry the tale back, so we shall never know exactly what she faced and what she did that day. All that is known is that she fought bravely and prevailed against her foes.
When she came back to the Storm Tribe that night, there was something different in her eyes. She had left them as a girl, and she had come home as a warrior.