Re: Re: New Pelorian

From: Bo Rosén <brosen_at_...>
Date: 10 Aug 2002 10:31:44 +0200

lör 2002-08-10 klockan 00.05 skrev morganconrad:

> Pelorian can lead to Illumination. That's very different
> from "getting it chatting up girls".

Thank the Godess!

> >what's the difference ?), where he discusses IIRC how languages can
> >be engineered so as to engineer people's minds and core beliefs.
>
> I'll check out this book, though I doubt the premise.

Well, I certainly think differently when I use English compared to my native Swedish. Similar words acquire different meaning depending on their cultural context, and while the differences between Swedish and English may not be all that great (compared to New Pelorian and Sartarite) it can be difficult sometimes to convey the exact meaning of what you want to say in the *wrong* language. But I'm not a linguist, and should probably not get into a discussion like this :-)

> In any case, this premise does not hold for the Empire, cause most of
> the citizens speak other languages, natively. Carmanian, Pelendan,
> Theyalan, fat-Quailian, etc. Not sure if the Dara Happans speak Dara
> Happan, Old Pelorian, Sunspeech or New Pelorian.

But using New Pelorian forces you into a particular mindset, regardless of your first language. Presumably it is the state sanctioned Lingua franca, used in all communications where a common native language is unavailable, and use by the administration. I'd assume a requirement in many places for a job in the beaurocracy above village level is a good knowledge of New Pelorian. Officially, anyway.

> That's why it's an Empire, not a nation. There is no single language
> that can be used for mind control.

They're probably working on that bit .-)

Cheers,

        Bo