Mind-altering language

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:13:55 -0400

> >what's the difference ?), where he discusses IIRC how languages can
> >be engineered so as to engineer people's minds and core beliefs.
>
> I'll check out this book, though I doubt the premise.

It's a common therapy technique to get people to change their use of language with the aim of affecting their thoughts and behaviour. I've certainly known it work.

For a much more extreme fictional treatment, read Babel-17.

I see that Greg says that New Pelorian is not designed to produce illumination. IMG at least, though, there are groups that are trying to change the way the language is used to encourage their own understanding of illumination.

Andrew