Re: A gentle rant about Tusk Riders

From: theunspokenword <mark_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:15:01 -0000

Wulf, I can't see where all this 'One True Way', 'official guidelines' and 'freedom of speech' stuff comes from. As I read it, Jeff was just, to use your phrase, venting frustration. Essentially you had just bemoaned the fact that Simon had written up the Tusk Riders as theists because it messed up with a plotline you had forming, and suggested that he had in fact changed the existing basis of their religion. In fact, as was then pointed out, they have been theist in every representation.

In fact, Jeff isn't the only one who felt irked by your post, just the only one who actually replied. We all make mistakes, but I must admit that I get irritated when someone chooses to make a criticism of someone else's work without having checked the facts first. That said, I couldn't be bothered getting too het up by it.

But when Jeff raises this (in a pretty neutral way, I felt) he then gets accused of One True Wayism, denying you your freedom of speech, etc.

In fact, he wrote "Either use it if you like it or ignore the bits you don't if you feel otherwise." I can't really see this as a fascistic declaration of a One True Way or brutal infringmenet of your freedom of speech...

Why am I bothering writing this now? Well, lest silence seem to be approval of your comments and thus implicit criticism of what I actually feel is a very positive and light moderators'policy.

All the best

Mark

Mark Galeotti