Re: Benedicts True Theory Hypothesis

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 02:14:44 EDT

In a message dated 14/08/02 00:28:27 GMT Daylight Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

Benedict
<< HOWEVER, I maintain that if someone in the RW has had some theory about
 anthropology or history, however discredited it is now, then there  should exist in Glorantha some people who confirm to that theory.>>

This is a great idea. a sort of Fortean Glorantha. Unfortunately I disagree with some of your examples, but then these are just my theories.

<< Thus, we have noble savages (that's YOU, Heortlings) >>

I'd disagree with Heortlings being our noble savages, but that's just me.

<<and structuralist mythology (the God Learners). By extension, there should exist in
 Glorantha a language that (perhaps mytho-magically) confirms to the  Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. I think there could be no better candidate than  New Pelorian. >>

A better candidate would, I think, be Auld Wyrmish. Speakers get their tongue split, their brain split, and then tranform physically into a large scaly thing with wings. I think that out-Sapir-Whorfs Sapir Whorf. (OTOH, New Pelorian should be good for verbizing nouns, and other new words)

Keith