RE: Archery and weather

From: Graham, Andrew <agraham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:45:36 +0100

> Basically correct, but then true for most decent self bows
> as well. I'd place any piece of wood with some sinew glued on
> its back in the group of self bows rather than composite bows,
> in rules or range terms.

Correct. Just another way of making a long bow.

> The most fun (?) in clout archery is dealing with the weather
> influences. I've shot against gale-strength sleet pouring down on us,
> which diminished the effective range a bit and hampered accuracy
> slightly. As long as the bow or parts of it don't dissolve from the
> wetness,

 Changing temperatures can also significantly affect the range of a bow as any glues used tend to soften with rising temperature.

> So you could happily have some Sartarites or Exiles
> wandering round with longbows without upsetting the
> balance of military power in the pass.

> Why should this upset the balance of military power when we have
flyers
> raining down javelins from greater heights with a lot more
devastating
> effects? If a Vanganthi does a distant dive from say 400 feet to 200
> feet and then looses a javelin or three, the penetration will equal
that
> of a ballista, and apart from aerial counteractions or Kadone magic
> there is little that can be done to avoid this tactic.
 Yes similar tactics to this were used from early World war one aircraft. And the Vangathi would not have to dive to attack just empty a bag of darts from a few 100 m up over any massed formations of troops. Simarly "lift object with wind" could also be used to pick things up then you could drop later. We have just scratched the surface of what combat tactics are possible using HQ magic especially when people from differing cults work together.

This E-Mail and any files transmitted with it, are confidential and for the
exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you have received this E-Mail in error please return it to the sender.
We should be grateful if you would also copy the communication to postmaster_at_... then delete the E-Mail and destroy any copies of it.

It is your responsibility to scan any attachments for viruses.

For further information, visit us at WWW.MITSUIBABCOCK.COM