The Founding of the Dundealos (Long)

From: bass_jonuk <jonsmithers_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:36:28 -0000

I am building a web site for my upcoming campaign set among the Duindealos before, during and after its destruction. I thought I'd post here a part of that site for general comment and criticism. Plus it might,I hop,e boost my confidence for the site posting :-)
Enjoy - Jon

How We Found Our Home
The Pharaoh ruled the land now and a new portentous red light had emerged in the sky to the north. Many of the people were unhappy but what could be done? They did not have the power to resist the Pharaoh and there was no where else to go. News arrived that the lands to the north, long forbidden to men since the disaster of the Dragonkill, were once again open.
Could this be the opportunity they sought, but the women were were afraid. Was the land safe? Were the dragons gone? Was there any land there suitable to live off? "We have land here, our homes and ancestors are here we do not know what is there," they cried. The men were keen to leave, feeling breathless under the choke of the Pharaoh. They argued back and forth the women finally digging their heels into the earth saying, "Here are our homes, why should we uproot to a land we know nothing of, a place of unknown dangers and a place where we do not even know there is land to live."
"But I have been there and I have seen it and it is a good land." A
new voice had spoken from the back of the arguing throng. A man tall and broad, dressed in animal skins and carrying a spear and bow of natural make. His beard was unkempt and his hair wild, but his eyes were still and his manner confident. Everyone turned to him and he suddenly looked nervous amidst the crowd with all their eyes turned upon him. His name was Dundeal the Walker and he was one of us, though rarely lived among us. He followed the ways of Varanorlanth the Wild and spent much of his time away from hearth and harstings. He had been gone for many seasons and many had feared for his safe return.
"Yes, I have come fresh from those lands and can tell you they are
safe and good. It is a land of green forest and fine hills. It has many valleys, well watered by lusty streams and strong rivers. It is a land abundant in healthy game and natural blessings of the earth. I have seen many holy places of Orlanth and Ernalda and their kin - the land is blessed. I do not say that it totally safe for others have lived there in mans absence and land would needs be tamed. But I know that we can do this if only we find our own tula. But we must move soon for others are ahead of us. The Colymar have already claimed some of the best lands."
The people looked and Dundeal with awe and wonder. Awe at his tale and wonder that he spoke so well, for not one of them had heard him speak so much in one go. The men were enthused by his tale and were already to pack up and leave at once. But the women still were cautious, "The land may well be good and the dragons have left for good," they said,
"but we cannot just pack up and leave. Are you suggesting we collect
our goods, our valuables and children and set out into the unknown to wander these new lands until we happen on a good place to settle. Either we settle for the first we come across, which may not be the best, or we will wander homeless from place to place, our wealth, herds and health diminishing until we become easy fodder for some wild folk or greedy clan. We will not leave this place now." The men were dismayed but they could not leave without their women. The Ring sat and debated the matter and then summoned Dundeal to them, which took some time for he had wondered off to be alone, still amazed and confused by his oratory himself. When he came to them the chief stood and said to him, "Will you go once more into the lands to the north and find a part of this land suitable for our people, herds and future?" Dundeal nodded his agreement - his words apparently spent.
"Will you form a Discovery Band like Orlanth himself did when he
wished to lead his people down from the Mountain." Again Dundeal nodded his assent.
Dundeal selected Unstanos the Hunter, Tarkali the Adventurer, and his son Kalf the Scout. Lyzal the Supporter also came forth volunteering to go with him saying' "My sisters seek confirmation that this land is good and they may be better persuaded if I accompany you. For I am not afraid and can carry my own weight and more." Dundeal silently accepted this offer and prepared for the journey ahead. The priests came and blessed him and his band and they set out. Dundeal crossed the line into the newly opened lands. He found no dragons waiting to devour him, nor death stalking him. But the place was not entirely safe. He met strange creatures; half man, half beast; who said that the land was theirs and sacred. He encountered elves, who captured the band but Dundeal rescued them, they heard tales of dwarves but did not see them, and trolls came to eat them. They all claimed the land for they had lived there since before the Dragonkill. They also came across horse riding nomads who attacked them and took them as slaves. But Lyzal was able to explain that they were friends from the Dawn and was able to negotiate their release - as long as they agreed not to settle near their lands. He found also found fellow Orlanthi. They were already carving their way into the land and growing strong. They learnt that although the living was hard, especially when they had first arrived, life was better here in the land called Kerofin. These people showed him the proper hospitality but were not inclined to sharing their lands with his people.
He had traveled far and was yet to find a place his people could call home. He was about to return when he decided to look over one last ridge at the northern tip of the Storm Mountains. He did not hold out much hope for it, as it would be near the dried out wastes of the east, but he was driven not to give up until he had looked everywhere. On crossing the hills Dundeal saw laid out below him a green vale surrounded by steep hills and mountains. The vale was covered in long grass and garlanded with bright coloured flowers as it was Sea season. The valley floor rolled out beneath him as he went down into it. He explored the vale from end to end and found near its head an ancient fort, high and steep and with a spiral of earthen ramparts still intact. Lyzal examined the land and found it to have fertile earth. The hills had some good woodland and the valley had many hardy bushes that also had usable wood.
However there was one thing not right with the vale. The main river bed seemed to be shallow, they followed its course and found the streams and brooks that fed it to be strong, though they swirled around as if lost on entering the river. Dundeal followed the river to its source alone leaving his followers to continue their survey of the vale. He was gone for some time and his followers feared for him but after 7 days the river suddenly surged and flowed brightly through its course. But Dundeal did not return! On the seventh night a beautiful woman came to them by the river bank as they camped. She was tall and slender like the reeds of the river, her hair shined like the river as it flowed over rocks and her eyes were a deep green. She came among them unnoticed and said, "Dundeal has rescued me from my enemies and has agreed to stay with me for one year. You may bring your people here to settle with my blessing."
The following morning they awoke, packed their gear and left the vale. Their return to us was well heralded and the Ring was there to meet them. They were initially dismayed that Dundeal had not returned with them but the story was told and they were convinced. Unstanos explained that the land had good hunting and showed the many skins he had collected. Tarkali enthused of the many wonderful things to be seen on the journey and in the vale and showed the wepaons of those they had defeated. Kalf said he could lead them safely to the vale. Lyzal told that the land was good for both herds and crops and showed the women the earth and seeds she had collected. They also told of the strange tale of Dundeal and the Lady and this was seen as a blessing and a sign. The Ring was convinced and the people pleased by the news. The three clans gathered their herds and goods, the priestesses gathered many seeds for the crops to them and the godii blessed all for the journey ahead. The Jonatani clan led the way for they were the eager to get to their new home. The Bazanae defended all the peoples from the threats that they met on the way. The Blue Jay were last, they were the biggest clan and most to gather together. Finally we arrived in our new home. each clan found land that was to their taste and established their tulas there. The blessings were sought and received and a new tribe was founded. Tarkali the Adventurer, one of Dundeal's supporters was the first king of the Tribe and the tribe was named after dundeal himself - the Dundealos. We have lived here since - it has not always been easy but it has always been good.