Re: Another Elmal question

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:12:09 -0000

Julian Lord

> The relative coolness of mountain tops as compared to valleys
> is in fact a product of wind and/or clouds (and altitude of course,
> which in Gloranthan terms might just be proximity to the Storm,
> to Kero Fin, Inora, and Valind) ; it's not a weakness of the Sun.

All IMHO -

I suspect Gloranthan and terrestial physics are a little different. Fire is a collective term used to represent an element that has properties of both light and heat. Thus a (mundane)fire both produces heat and gives light. Heat tends to be seen as the baser and lower, light as the higher and purer. There is a similiar relationship with Darkness and its properties of cold and shadow. You can have heat and shadow and cold and light, but the other two combinations contend. The higher you go the more you move towards light and away from heat. You will feel colder, but the shadows are shorter. The sun is light and order, the volcanoes and 'lowfires' are warmth and passion. Altitude = loss of temperature in Glorantha. There is still some warmth from the light, but not that which you get on the ground. I have no idea what hapens when you reach the sky realm, I'm not sure that the cold could survive in an element of 'pure' light.

> This is the same Sun that shines in the valleys.
> If Elmal is the mountain top Sun, who is the valley bottom Sun of
> native Orlanthi mythology ?

Elmal carries the Justice stick. Justice and Law tend to be associated with the light properties of fire, not heat. He rules in the Darkness while Orlanth is away he is a god of survival in the darkness, he is in a post-comprimise world the winter sun, the light amist the darkness.

Of course Elmal is not 'pure' so he will have some heat/burning associations, enough for a burning spear etc. But his primary mythical feats are associated with his actions as 'winter sun' so that is where he draws his feats from. A winter sun produces some heat, and so there may be some heat affects but mostly it will be light. Of course somewhere there may be some 'Elmal' worshippers who recognise his baser fire powers...