Re: Re: Heler and the Water Tribe

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:18:52 -0700

> >What about a boat on a river flowing the wrong way? Does it follow
> >the flow, or follow gravity?

Gravity is a phenomenon of the Earth Tribe (cf Kodone the Lander). When a boat (or anything else) is in water, it is under the control of water, and thus follows the path that the water takes (in most cases, down to Magasta's pool, in the case of Syphon up into the Footprint, other currents may do other things).

Once you take the boat out of Water, it is under the influence of Earth. One reason things fall down when you throw them upwards is because Earth is "Stronger" than Air (cf Elemental Wheel). Another is because air may be a strong element, but doesn't have great long-term endurance - you've noticed how most winds doen't just blow steadily, they rise and fall, like they are taking a deep breath for another push. So a big wind might be able to lift a boat or a house to to dizzying heights (cf "Wizard of Oz"), it has difficulty maintaining its temporary victory over Earth, so the object falls sooner or later.

Wind is Stronger than water, which is why Tornadoes and Hurricanes and the like can pile great waves up against the shore, and why sail-driven boats can go against the cuirrent.

Need more PMB*?

Roderick

*PMB = "Pure Mythic Bulls**t"