Re: Shrines and Temples

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:52:34 -0000

Well…I'm sure I'm not the best person for answering this perfectly, but I'll take a shot at it.

For a shrine I think you need some basic numbers of worshippers, and if possible you'll use an auspicious spot.

For a temple I think you need a notably holy spot and a significant number of worshippers.

>From various places (including the old clan generation questionnaire
on the Issarries site (no, I haven't seen Orlanth is Dead yet)), I get the impression that most clans will have one temple, and it will be to Orlanth for the most typical clan, or to Ernalda for more earth centred clans. In addition you will have one or two shrines most often. So some clans will have no more than a shrine to Orlanth, although most will have a temple.

Another possible view is that a shrine is to one specific sub-cult, so could support all the feats associated with that sub-cult's affinity. Some obscure shrines are to sub-cults or hero cults that only have one known feat. So then the clan shrine to Durev would provide a devotee all of Durev's normal feats for his family affinity, but not for the other aspect affinities. However an obscure shrine to Orlanth Elf-Friend might only have one feat to offer, since the few worshippers only really know one relevant myth.

A temple would embrace all of an aspect (or all of a god for nongreat  gods). So a clan temple to Orlanth Allfather would let devotees of any of his sub-cults learn all the feats from all three affinities. However it wouldn't help devotees of OA or OT learn feats (they could still worship there, but the priests there wouldn't know the relevant myths in enough detail to guide them on the necessary quests).

A great temple would only be raised to a great god, and would fully support all its aspects, so any devotee could learn any common feat there.

Hmmm, I like that progression, it seems more intuitive.

--Bryan