Re: Re: Vinga Likewise.(spoilers)

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:43:18 +1000

Vinga does seem to hold a special fascination. Doubtless there are several explanations. Whether its the Charlie's Angels syndrome, the fact that she was among the first of the 'new gods' mentioned in KOS, and so had the Digest's more or less undivided attention for a few years (Elmal is noble, but a bit stodgy), her unboundedness, her lateral-thinking ethic, her love of life and laughter, the Kallyr connection (being played down now) or the fact that her affinities can be a power-gamer's wet dream, I wouldn't want to speculate.

My use of Vinga wasn't intended as 'special pleading', though her unique mix of affinities does make her one of the more interesting cases to consider. At the end of it all, in narrator mode, my decision is a definite NO magic for Vinga. The end of the world is not intended to be pleasant. Or easy. Vinga will find another way. She always does.

Once we take Barntar out of the list on page 43 of OID, it becomes much clearer.

In game mode, pcs who retain their affinities can be confronted by the thought that in the Greater Darkness, *all* the gods eventually went to join Orlanth. He he.

I have a lot of sympathy for Benedict's view that this is the Greater Darkness, so Elmal and Vinga become important. In Fimbulwinter, Elmal retains his powers, Vinga doesn't. Ernalda it seems, is already sleeping, and the Laughing Daughter has also slept in order to accompany her Mother to hell.

I suspect this Elmal/Vinga mythic importance will feature in the arc more as it develops. (Then again, I could be talking complete cobblers). There is already a prominent Vingan hero guiding the loyal through the terrors of Fimbulwinter. I don't recall an Elmali hero being mentioned in OID, perhaps he is yet to arise, mayhap out of the shattered Elmali clans of the Far Place.

Or from your clan.

An instructive thread. Thank ye all!

John

nysalor_at_...                           John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

The Father is the Void.
The Wife Waves
Their child is Matter.