Re: Ritual Negotiation question

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:18:45 -0000

> Does the new clan
> chief do the negotiation? Is more mundane negotiations with the
> leaders of neighboring clans involved? What kind of "deities of the
> land" are there?

I've always imagined that you have to persuade certain meadow daimones to become field daimones, find a way of cutting down forests without creating a theo-magical tragedy, beat the local stream into not flooding quite so vigorously in the spring, and so on. Not everything has a daimone, or at least one of notable power and enough presence to care, but I think you don't go messing with things until the god-talkers have checked things out. When there is a deity they no doubt follow the lead of old stories, flatter it, threaten it, and promise it sacrifices, and generally manage to wrangle cooperation out of it.

I'm sure Sartar is riddled with wild lands in inconvenient places, however, that are there specifically because the settlers couldn't get permission to convert the use of the land. I think Tardisi (spelling?) grove in Colymer lands is like this--The colymer have a treaty of sorts with it, but can't mess with the woods at all.

--Bryan