Re: Re: Ritual Negotiation question

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:33:47 +1000

Yes, and don't forget the animal tribes, esp. if your clan has strong hunting connections. A few animal Powers, ancestors or talking beasts can cause a lot of trouble if not properly placated. Negotiations might include lands set aside for hunting and lands where hunters may not go (indeed lands where humans may never walk), seasons when it is appropriate to hunt certain beasts, what type of beasts can be hunted (no pregnant does, no young), sacred and totem animals that cannot be hunted or can only be hunted in certain special ways. This will often be more ritualistic than direct negotiations with a savvy stream goddess, or will be conducted through the auspices of Ormalaya, Odayla or even the Lady who name is too sacred to speak.

Quite apart from harmonious co-existence (the harmony of blood and death) most of the above are of course good hunting practice, and impose a discipline on hunters that may help the clan's long term survival.

And by acknowledging the Beast Circle, humans must enter into it. Anything that hunts may also be hunted. Humans may be hunted at certain times (usually Dark Season - in my Far Place campaign its Death Week Earth Season to Harmony Week Storm Season) without recourse to the courts. Enemy tribes such as the wolves hunt and can be hunted at any time (it's war, me boy, war).

Take an animal tribe to court for weregild? While not common, it has been done. A successful decision usually gives the wronged bloodline permission to hunt in a usually prescribed area for a certain period of time.

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

Let your sorrow end! It is better for us all To avenge our friends, not mourn them forever. Each of us will come to the end of this life On earth; he who can earn it should fight For the glory of his name; fame after death Is the noblest of goals. Arise, guardian Of this kingdom, let us go, as quickly as we can.