Re: Re: Shrines and Temples

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:01:43 +0100

Just back from actually whacking people over the head, my shield peppered with arrows, the scars slowly healing (a stunningly good weekend's LARP), I rejoin the fray...

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:24:22 +1200, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:

>>But if so, why are there myths that can ONLY be learned at special
>>places (like, specifically, some Eurmali feats, and others in RQ
>>writeups, which may or may not still be valid)? Are these exceptions,
>>where the place IS significant?
>
>Or perhaps some myths are pretty picky on the type of place they can be
>learned from while others can be learned from any old Orlanthi place?

So, it's the 'theme' of the place that matters, more than the actual place? 'The lightning-battered oak' could be any such tree, while 'heroic Gurnwald's birthplace' is a bit more specific, therefore you'd have to actually go to the spot.

>>And I thought that all Heortling Orlanthi travel to the God Plane
>>started with a flight to Kero Fin - therefore, everyone starts from
>>the same place...
>
>That's only at High Holy Days.

Hadn't quite realised the implications of that point, therefore in an 'ordinary' HQ, you could start anywhere suitable? One problem is, unless you start from a specifically powerful spot, it makes any HQ more difficult (no bonuses for temples, etc.).

Wulf