Re: Re: Ritual Negotiation question

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:58:16 -0700

themalum <rmv1_at_...> wrote:
> Hmmm... So let me see if I get this straight.
>
> There are three kinds of lands in the tula: herding land, hunting
> land, and farming land.

...and "no-go" land? Maybe the result of one negotiation was, "You don't enter the Aldrya's Holy Grove, and we don't put arrows through your eye sockets some wildday."

...although, arguably, such land isn't "in" the tula at all! Is it possible that there are islands of non-Tula inside the Tula? (...like Swaziland or Vatican City?) The wyter might be completely excluded from those areas.

BTW--would the clan need to go through this process again if it converted land from one type to another (planting on herd lands, clearing brush, etc.)? Most likely the clan would keep track of each area's "status", and how much of a headache it would be to change things. That is, if the clan needs to clear hunting land for grazing, they'd say, "Okay, *this* stand of trees is guarded by the Spirit of Avenging Oak, who permits our pigs to root for acorns... *this* one is the home of the Holy Deer, who we are permitted to hunt only in sea season... and *this* one is, well, it's just some trees. Let's clear it."

Subject to correction, of course...

--AMS