Re: Re: Uroxi sense Chaos-tainted/marked ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:50:41 +1200

At 10:01 AM 8/29/02 +0000, you wrote:

> >The Ogres are chaotic and they do eat human flesh but eating human
> >flesh is not the source of their chaotic nature. Most Ogres are
> >born, not made.

>Yes, but I was talking about the Myth. If in the Great Darkness some
>humans became ogres eating human flesh, that act could have some
>chaotic sense after the Dawn. Not always, I think. But in some
>circunstances, perhaps it could be a kind of 'ritual' or re-
>enactement to the myth, specially (or only) if the individual/his
>society knows the myth.

I prefer to interpret it this way. There are several practices of cannibalism,
one of which leads to Ogrehood. The mere consumption of human flesh is not chaotic or else the Praxians, the Telmori and the Salilgori would be Ogres. What is required to be an Ogre is the abandonment of morality. IMO this goes far beyond the simple act of despair that results when one is in a lifeboat and forced to eat companions to survive.

> > >Human sacrifice without the rites of Ana Gor is an act of Chaos,

> > An Orlanthi belief, nothing more.

>An Orlanthi belief, but if a heortling, for strange reasons,
>sacrifices to Orlanth, IMO this is a chaotic act.

Perhaps. But is it an act that if repeated causes its performer to become Chaotic? Many actions can be alleged to be chaotic (the Orlanthi consider Kinstrife and enlightened leadership/Lokomaydanism  to be chaotic) but may not be chaotic.

> > Well, the Malkioni do equate the worse sins with chaos AFAIK.

>antrophofagy?

Perhaps. But only Malkioni that abandon all morality and eat flesh become Ogres.

>Probably, all the worse malkioni sins are 'chaotic' and 'unnatural'
>for them. But probably different cultures have other 'worse sins'.

Some crimes are universal. Rape, Treason, Lust for Knowledge etc are chaotic all over Glorantha. If there is a Chaos God associated with the crime then the action is chaotic.

>For example, homosexuality could be an unnatural aberration for
>malkioni (I know malkioni are not the same that medieval Christians,
>but the comparation may help), but in other places it could be
>different. In the first case, the act may cause a conmotion in
>malkioni universe that attracts Chaos.

If homosexuality is a sin among the Malkioni, it would not be chaotic.

>In the RW, in ancient Egypt
>the enemies were 'demonized' and identified with the Chaos serpent,
>Apep, they were supposed to destroy the entire order of the universe.

Demonization works differently in Glorantha. There the Malkioni use it to force pagan godlings and heathen spirits onto the sorcery planes.

IMO the demons are in eternal torment for their original rebellion against the Invisible God. Sorcerers can summon them and force them to teach exotic magic (I call these spells hexes to distinguish them from the good Malkioni magics) and also force them to answer questions within their nature. The practice is frowned upon now because the God Learners were so free with it, leading to their downfall.

>But I don't know. I know nothing about chaotic acts, and I think that
>learning about is good for my play. For example, I don't know if
>torture is chaotic. God of torture is listed in the Prosopopedia as a
>chaotic god, but I suppose there are a lot of torture in a lot of non-
>chaotic societies. If my heortlings PC's try to torture a prisioner
>żis this chaotic?

It's tricky.

Ikadz is a god of torture within the Chaos Pantheon (which is a construct) but he is really there because he is an evil god, not a chaotic god. Likewise Malia and Ompalam are also within this "pantheon" but neither of them are chaotic.

Your Heortling PCs will get into trouble with Humakt for he considers Torture to be a wrong death.

--Peter Metcalfe