Re: Animist numbers

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:52:47 -0000

> Spirit-talkers aren't part of the Orlanthi clan AFAIK. Going by
> KoDP, they go around being strange and weird to whatever clan is
> in their area and can serve several clans. In the Orlanthi social
> universe, they are loners (but protected by their magics).

Fair point, let me rephrase it: How many Animists/non-initiates does it take to create the new generation of Spirit Talkers (assuming having a 'fetch which can be awakened' isn't an everyday occurrance)? This is still relevant after my next point...

> I don't think there's any such thing as lay Heortling animists
> in clan life. All clan members would be automatically theists.
> If one wants to be a spirit-talker, then the standard practice
> would be to run away from your kin (before initiation) and take
> up residence as a Spirit-talker's helper.

But this doesn't fit with Sedrosa, unless the women can change from theists to animists after they're finished with family life. They can't have avoided becoming initiated for all the years until they come 'of age' for Sedrosa. Of course, being Misapplied Animists just complicates this...

Wulf