Re: Chaos!

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:45:50 +0100

Manolo replies to me :

> >But despite these differences, the *underlying* cause is universal - a
> >shattering of society. That is the universal definition of a chaotic act.
>
>Lets continue our spanish chaos attack!
>Then, if a pacifist tries to shatter the society of the Kingdom of War
>(violence is bad, we have to forgive our foes and help among ourselves, weak
>guys dont deserve death, etc...), is he chaotic even if he has good
>intentions? (yep i know he is a dead guy, but imagine for example his ghost,
>still preaching his shattering doctrines...;)

A number of points. A pacifist is probably not part of the Kingdom of War society. My point relates more to your own society than others, informed by the fact that Orlanthi kinstrife summons chaos, whereas in other societies it is practically expected. The Kingdom of War is also not really a society, more a breakdown in society. Possibly you could argue it is chaos in and of itself, although I personally believe that is to rather underplay the true tragedy of the kingdom.

But to generalise your point, yes, it is possible to *reform* a society without falling to chaos. Chaos is about a deep, underlying wrongness, not minor changes, persuading people to approach their problems from another direction, or others. There are socially acceptable means to change a society's rules, and their un-acceptable ones that are *not* chaos. It is the actions beyond the pale that break the universe. I'll also echo Greg's point that some acts are so unacceptable that they always break the universe, however common, justified, or whatever.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson