Re: Re: Uroxi sense Chaos-tainted/marked ?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:12:15 +1200

Morgan:

>Peter asks: "Why is it not needed?"

>I thought my first post was pretty clear, but here goes. Imagine
>that you are a Heortling adult male.

>1. You have personally MET your god. He says chaos is bad.

He also says quite a lot of other things are bad. Namely Secret Murder, Regicide, betraying cult secrets, desecration of Orlanthi holy places and deliberately breeding disease.

These things still happen in Orlanthi society.

>2. Society also constantly teaches that chaos is bad.

Likewise I live in a society in which we have written laws which tells me that Rape is Bad. Rape still happens.

>3. Rape is known by all to be chaotic, and it might even turn you
>into a freaking broo!

Kinstrife is known by all to be chaotic yet it still happens. The risk of becoming a broo is about as bad as the risk of something bad happening to you from smoking (say). Given that a lot of people in this world still keep smoking, what makes you think that an Orlanthi is going to be any more farsighted?

>4. You are in an extremely close knit clan. Nowhere to run. Your
>clan cheiftain will be happy to purge the clan of chaos.

If a heortling attacks a woman belong to another (hostile) clan, most clan chieftains won't give a shit. The clan can't be purged of chaos unless the rapist has turned into a broo.

>5. Uroxi with big axes would be very happy to kill a potentially
>chaotic rapist.

Uroxi with very big axes are much less common than vulnerable women and make piss-poor sex-crime detectives.

>My conclusion - not much rape, and, when there is, who needs Vinga to
>take special steps to prevent it? Let the clan or Uroxi handle it.

But Vingan anti-rape magics are still a useful thing to have if a women gets attacked.

--Peter Metcalfe