Eating people is wrong!

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:07:55 -0700

Peter Larsen <peterl_at_...> wrote:

> Even the Maran
> holy cannibalism reinforces the Ogre Ancestor in some slight way.
> That's pretty clear. But what about Uz? They eat sentient beings
> gladly, family members (enlo) cheerfully, and other family members on
> a ritual basis. To everyone else, this may be evil, but, to the Uz,
> it's just a snack. I find it hard to believe that the Uz activities
> reinforce chaos because eating is what Uz do -- it is an absolutely
> natural expression of Darkness.

FWIW, I think Enlo are the only sentient beings Uz kill *for food*. They'll eat anything that's dead--meat is meat--but they won't kill a sentient being just to eat it. Of course, they'll kill a sentient being for being a snot-nosed death-worshipping sunboy, and once he's dead, they'll eat the body. Meat, like I said, is meat.

I don't know if that's relevant (is the Ogre sin eating the bodies of sentients, or killing sentients in order to eat them? And does it matter if they're of the same "species"?). For that matter, is it chaotic if a sentient lion--there are a few out there--kills and eats a human? Just what does "cannibalism" mean, anyway? Howabout if you're killing and eating a *non*-sentient human (like a morokanth's herd-man)? Is it chaotic to even ask these sorts of questions? ;-)