Re: Animist numbers

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:43:36 -0700

Wulf asked

> Where do all the little Kolati come from? More specifically, how
> many Animists would be in a clan of, say, 600 (on average, I guess
> some clans would have none at all)?

Zero. (BTW, I think most clans are a little bigger.) Heortlings aren't animists.

> And how many Spirit Talkers would
> be needed to fulfill their magical needs (actually, it's more likely
> one Spirit Talker serves a few clans, but still)?

A clan may or may not have a spirit talker. It wouldn't surprise me if they live effectively outside of any clan -- they certainly seem to in King of Dragon Pass.

A very few Heortlings are called to become shamans. (In our world, people often end up as shamans because of a call, not because they want to.) This can probaby happen even if there are no spirit-talkers around -- helper spirits can instruct them.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein