Re: chaos again

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:36:34 +0100

>I'm not sure I understand everything is said here, but I try :)

I'm not sure I do either :-)

Some thoughts.

I think that Chaos is stronger in the period leading up to the Hero Wars than it "normally" is (and gets stronger - especially after Argrath brings Sheng Seleris back KoS p33). So the risk of "turning Chaotic" is probably greater than in "normal" times.

Glorantha is a magical world so some actions may magically "invite" Chaos. Symbolism is a central issue so the cultural background and mythic resonances of an act - which are subjective - will be relevant. The Orlanthi society is centered on kin so kin-strife is a greater risk in that society than elsewhere. In Dara Happa, of course, assassinating the Emperor is a BIG invitation to Chaos.

Worshipping the gods of Chaos is also a big risk. Since the Gods also ARE the associated actions it is possible to worship them without knowing it. Anyone who exaggerates "Violence is always an option" to "Violence is the ONLY option" - or "the only option worth considering" is worshipping Urain. And if that violence becomes kin-strife then Chaos is almost certain to come. The Char-Un are relatively "safe" from becoming Broos only so long as they restrict their rapes to enemy women after a battle and do not seek out rape for its own sake.

Going back to Cults of Terror and the more positive view of Chaos that appears in some places there it may be that the Brithini's problem is not that they are "Chaotic" but that they have succeeded in banishing Chaos. They are defended from Entropy but have paid for it in their loss of Wonder.

Rigid rules are the greatest defence against Chaos. Breaking those rules is the surest way to summon Chaos.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.