Re: >Subject: Re: Animist numbers

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:01:57 -0400

> >>So, it looks like Heortling Animists usually
> >>don't have a family Spirit Talker, because Spirit Talkers don't leave
> >>decendants (barring Sedrosans before they become Sedrosans...).
> >
> >I don't think there's any such thing as lay Heortling animists
> >in clan life. All clan members would be automatically theists.
> >If one wants to be a spirit-talker, then the standard practice
> >would be to run away from your kin (before initiation) and take
> >up residence as a Spirit-talker's helper.
> >
> >My impressions anyway...
> >
> >--Peter Metcalfe
>
> That fits with my view of all (85%) of Orlanthi clans. I've always assumed,
> though, that some unusual clans may support/adopt a spirit talker. Very,
> very unusual clans might have a long tradition of mixed theism and animism
> (but I have not convinced myself yet that this ever happens in Dragon Pass).
>
> For the rest I'd think that Kolati/Sedrosi would take children touched by
> the spirits (e.g., those they have had to exorcise) who may be distrusted
> or otherwise no longer suitable for integration into theistic society. The
> children might be sent willingly or grudgingly. As a consequence
> Kolati/Sedrosi will often have links to several local clans, but relations
> will vary from lukewarm to very cold.
>
> Thom

Actually, this does happen in Dragon Pass, or at least historically -- in the case of several example clans in King of Dragon Pass. If you prefer, KODP is not a good example -- though I think its the best example of how to live like an Orlanthi out there.

In it, there are several clans who have strong ties to powerful local spirits. These clans, while unusual, are probably not uncommon. In Tales of the Reaching Moon, one of the Lismelder Clans (Hill Haven) seems to have strong kolating ties.

One thing that's been said -- you are called by a god. But if you;re called by something else, then what do you do?

Jeff