Re: Re: meeting your God

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 13:35:58 GMT

"themalum" <rmv1_at_...> writes:

>This brings to mind
>a new character archetype for games, the "religious activist" who
>agitates for a "reform" (keeping in mind that his reform might be a
>return to a possibly-older tradition). I'd imagine the open
>discussion of these things among all and sundry is a distinctive
>characteristic of Heortling society when compared to Solar society,
>where such questions are probably frowned upon except among higher-
>ups...

Actually, I see Heortlings as being more interested in the health of their cows, who's sleeping with whom, and whether or not to raid the neighbours this season. Open discussion of religious controversies among all and sundry is, to me, more a trait of the Lunars (and before them, such folk as the Godlearners, the EWF, the World Council... hmm, notice a trend here? Religious controversy seems to be Bad for your Health in Glorantha...). I quite like the analogy between Byzantium and the Lunars here:

"If you ask a Glamour shopkeeper how much bread costs, he will tell you that Sedenya is greater than Rashorana, and Rashorana subordinate to Her; and if you ask if your bath is ready, the answer comes that Rufelza was created from Nothing."

Stephen