Re: Re: Real-world heroquesting...

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:21:09 -0700

jeffkyer <jakyer_at_...> wrote:

> Maybe so, but a recent introduction of a topic like this a few
> weeks ago has brought one of the other lists I am on screeching to a
> halt with pro/anti Bin Laden flamewar-age, with liberal debates about
> the relativism of fascism, etc, etc, etc.
>
> So you can understand my... concern.

Absolutely. Like I said in my disclaimer, my feeling was that the article was "on-topic" (in that it attributes to ObL a heroquester mentality), but possibly dangerously political. If the article had been written 12 months ago and just talked about Fascist Italy, I think we'd all say it was HWHQ-relevant, yes?

And I thought the article's basic suggestion--that we are bad at predicting ObL's actions because his goals are mythic, not narrowly "strategic"--could be very relevant to Glorantha, both on a "macro" level (a nation's behaviour might seem incomprehensible, because they are enacting a grand national heroquest) and on a "micro" level (The last three fights have been too easy, because the XYZs have manipulated you into taking the mythic role of a particular invader, who, say, "sent us fleeing in three battles, but angered the spirit of the great river" or somesuch).

But I *don't* want to make this list get all political. I mean, that's not what we're about, is it? Whatever country we're from, whatever our politics, we can all get together and agree that the Uz should eat the salads and stunties and the hoomanz should get out of the way. (There's a slogan for a bumpersticker!)