Re: Re: Real-world heroquesting...

From: con1453_at_...
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 17:50:19 EDT

Actually, the useful comparisons to the RW here are the many differences on both 'sides," even the argument about whether there ARE "sides' or how many.

Clearly Osama's people have quite a different vision of reality than many other Moslems, and have "heroquested" to establish their own vision.

Clearly the US government has a different version of reality than many of its allies, and is now likely to put that into effect.

Many heroquesters are no doubt people that "normal people" would consider obnoxious and dangerous, fiddling with things that ought not to be fiddled with, and quite likely failing and dragging lots of more sensible people down with them.

I think that the cautions against any but the most standard and predictable heroquests are stronger than they have often been made to appear in our gaming.

When things get desperate, as the Hero Wars progress, such things will become more common, of course. "Weapons of mass destruction," anyone? Certainly dragons qualify for that, and appear at both ends of the Hero Wars.

Consider the World Wars for how things (such as firebombing or nuking cities) that seemed unthinkable became relatively commonplace by the end.

Jim Chapin