Re: Darksense at that!

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:57:18 +0300

Usually I'd have jumped on this, but I was on vacation on the Black Sea. Very uz-like place, that!

There have been a couple of discussions on "darksense tricks" on the Digest in the past, so a quick look in the archives might be useful for things I've forgotten, but some of the things that have come up or been suggested that might be the kinds of tricks you're looking for --

Normal Darksense:
* Sensing hollowness. I think there's something about this in the bit on
uz art on my website (uz art offers many MGF opportunites, definitely); also useful, though, if you want to make a "hiding place" that any uz who passes by can find, but humans won't notice. Can be useful for finding secret passages, those "hollow book" safes, etc.;

'Course, with all of this, there's tricks to fool uz which some humans will know, so it's not like (alas) uz get a major advantage. But all can be rude surprises for unprepared hoomans.

Heroic Darksense:
Like Mark suggested, some Uzuz powers can be obtained through heroquest and such. Although there's no published mystic group for the uz, I think Darksense tricks might be especially appropriate for such. I think a lot of these might be treated as seperate abilities or feats, but YGMV. Such rare but possible things might include:

Obscenely powerful and heroic darksense can let uz do all kinds of unnerving things. Any uzko can tell if a human's had dinner or not, according to TP -- what's *unnerving* are the uz who can tell you exactly what you had for dinner a half-hour ago, based on your stomach contents... Useful to create a sense of "freaky and bizarre" to scare silly hoomans with.

IMO, there's lots of uz heroquests that involve various powers that uzuz have innately (like radiating cold and darkness, for example), that uz can approach through their ancestors. Uzuz characters, scarily, probably are born with some of them and develop more through their lives. And imagine what the ones still alive who were born in Wonderhome are like...

Cheers,

James