Re: Bows and Aldryami

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 09:51:13 -0000

Shooting an arrow through a tree is *hard* and may require special magic which they learned from the Aldryami. Perhaps the Umathelan and Tarshite longbows are just perfectly ordinary in their capability, i.e. nasty but with no magical Shoot Through Tree ability.

> It's fairly plausible IMO since a Dragonewt Road passes up in the
> Earthshaker's Temple. Instead of wood, I suspect the Exile Bows
> are made from the horns of the Quakebeasts. That way, we preserve
> the similarity with Dragonewt Bows, which is made from bone and
> explain why nobody else has duplicated it.

A nice idea with all sorts of spin-offs, being a Tarshite bowyer could be a high-risk occupation if they gather their own materials.

> >Seriously, though, I thought elves used short bows?
>
> They use elf bows.

Its probably JMG (just my Glorantha) but I like to think that every elfbow is unique to the individual that grew it, some will be short and recurved others as tall as their wielder and dead straight. There might be some element of local fashions but the one thing they should not look like is uniformly manufactured.

--
Nic