Re: Darksense at that!

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:00:02 +0300

David Cake pointed out the tip of the iceberg of my blunder:

> Err... presuming the humans never handle the cards, or that
> they notice the difference in texture but are too stupid to put that
> together with the Uz robbing them blind.
> Roughened textures would be immediately obvious to a human
> trying to fan the cards in their hand.

I goofed -- you could do it if the imperfection was minor (like most marked
cards), but...

...even worse, uz wouldn't be able to *read* human cards. They can't darksense 'em, and their eyesight probably isn't adequate to read them. Er... whoops. Didn't quite think that one through. Shouldn't reply to e-mail late at night...

Uh, replace it with "cheating at the three cups and ball game," then. <grin> Or three-card monte.

Though card-playing might work well as a humorous interlude... ("Hey, you
barmaid, come here. What cards Gronk got, here?"). Or just keep the card- reading enlo nearby. (If he's a value, you can train him to be a cardcounting  enlo, and hit God Forgot! Who's suspect an enlo?).

>For clutter of approximately the same sonic properties as the target,
For some reason, this gives me a mental picture of Orlanthi desperately throwing
bits of tinfoil into the wind, hoping to confuse trolls... <grin>. "Trolls are comin'! Quick, get the chaff ready!"

Occasionally erroneously,

James