Re: Individuation

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:29:07 -0000

> Individuals who have done something powerful enough to be
worshipped as a
> hero retain their individuality as long as they are remembered and
> worshipped.
> Otherwise, it's bye bye ego.

So, do ancestors only retain their collective identity as ancestors because they are worshipped? If a clan was so thoroughly wiped out that its ancestors were no longer worshipped as such, would even godlearners  or lunar experimental heroquesters find it impossible to contact that clan's ancestors?

On the flip side, when a new clan is formed and starts worshipping its "ancestors," presumably that creates a new grouping in Orlanth's Halls? (the clan ancestors may also be ancestors of other existing clans, but now they have more than one group identity?)

I always did wonder how ancestors interacted with the creation, merger, splitting, and destruction of clans. Simply stating that the worship of ancestors lets them have identity as ancestors answers those questions!

--Bryan