Re: Re: Aldryami writers, anyone?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:03:51 -0700

giangero <giangero_at_...> wrote:

> elves are so anthipatic in other RPGs that no one tries to make them
> fine (as Uz and to a lesser extent Mostali) in Glorantha.

I think it's because they're so damned *alien*. An Elf isn't an animal, and he isn't even a plant--rather, he's a *part* of a plant. A small, mobile shoot of the Great Forest.

As I see it, the Wood found the Man Rune and said, "Hm... Plusses: Can walk around and hold stuff. Minuses: Automomy, intelligence, initiative... but we can fix that."

That's why I like Uz. Of all the Elder Races, their motives and behavior are most like humans, so I can get inside their heads a little.

(Mostali are at least as alien, of course--being part of a forest is less weird than being part of a machine. But since they're the "technological" group in Glorantha, the Mostali are useful to us as the Voice of the Real World: viz. that hilarious retelling of "Lankhor Mhy trapped in the cube" as a bug report (
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Realm/5545/mything/cage.html ).)

> But the relationship between Aldryami and other races, at last,
> results to me fascinating (a part from the Big Rubble).

Oh, sure. No question there. I think Aldryami are a great *NPC* addition to a game--though as I see it, the "NPC" is the whole communal hive-mind, not any particular sprite or dryad.

But a player-character Aldryan (is that the word?)--no, don't see how it can be done. Unless it's a renegade, in which case I think you'd have to play it as basically crazy.

Just IMHO, of course. YGMV. Not to be taken internally.

--AMS