Re: Enemies in a heroquest

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:28:58 -0000

I don't think that it has been done here but it has been done on the Glorantha Digest.

> Is there any way to deliberately
> enter another's heroquest and take
> the role of one of their opponents
> if you know the right myth?

I think that there are several ways that mundane opponents can enter a quest as mythical opponents (but not necessarily recognised as such).

1 - Deliberate choice by the first questor to power up their quest by using a real enemy rather than a symbolic enemy. Can be done by mutual (dis)agreement or by coercion of the second by the first. The latter is described in Cults of Prax, where the Yelmalian captures some Orlanthi to take roles in his ritual. Summons of Evil is another Orlanthi approach to this, which shades into my next option.

2 - Glorantha provides opponents for quests. It is "easier" if these opponents are also questors from the mundane - so the cycles of myth and magic push two "natural" opponents to quest at the "same time". As the Hero Planes are history, the "same time" can be quite flexible.

3 - A second questor raiding the first. This is only possible if the second questor knows something of the ritual/quest of the first and is able to make some identification with an actor in one of the stations (ideally an opponent of the first). It is made easier if the first is taking part in, say, a well known annual activity/ritual so the second can time their own ritual/quest to co-incide.

4 - Some combination of the above.

regards,
Charles