Re: Pain of Uzbirth

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:58:27 -0700

kmnellist_at_... wrote:

> [Uz males] get very little out of the painful
> process: no power, no esteem, no real anything.

I don't think that's true. Uz society is very family-based. Being the husband of a powerful wife means that you have power and prestige, too--so it's in every husband's interest for his wife to have lots of good, strong uzko children.

And leaving aside the (IMO very strong) matters of self-interest, "Do what the missus tells you" is a *very* strong imperative in uzish culture. There are exceptions, of course, but men who chafe at those restrictions probably gravitate to fringe cults, like Gadblad and Zorak Zoran... and they're probably less likely to get married in the first place.