Re: Pegasi

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:26:15 +1000

Julian Lord wrote:
> No knowledge here, just an opinion, but ...
>
> The way to get a Pegasus is to go with your horse on the 'Hippogriff loses its
> wings, claws, and teeth' HQ ; and make sure it only loses it's claws and teeth.
>
> Backfire possibilities abound : your horse is likely to regain its full
> intelligence, and gain claws and teeth to rip you to shreds, or you might
> lose any empathy you may have had with the animals, etc...

Hmm, I don't quite see how you can do a heroquest to lose something you haven't got. Unless you have a Pegasus already, and want to get a horse,
surely this HQ wouldn't be of use? If you take a horse on it, which hasn't (in some way) the ability to *fly* (not just have wings glued on it), the ability to *run* and *claw* (precluding stuck on talons since it'd
be *very* hard to run with them :-), and the ability to take massive bites
out of things (can't see _how_ you could pretend that one), then the horse
can't play the part of a Hippogriff even in pretend mode. All the HQ I've
heard of are when you lose things you already have, or gain things like you're emulating (eg. gain fire). Since Hippogriff lost things, you'd have to find the HQ in which hippogriff originally gained it's wings - that may even stretch back to the original Hippogriff creation saga which is probably a nastier HQ since it's 'further back'. IMHO.

Robert